Using technology to improve mental health is an emerging field of study, and PAU is at the forefront of this burgeoning field.
PALO ALTO, Calif., June 3, 2022 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ — Beginning in fall 2022, the Master of Science in Psychology program to Palo Alto University (PAU) will offer a Concentration in Technology and Mental Health. This concentration will explore the important role that technology plays in today’s society, the negative and positive effects of technology on mental health, and the complexity of the interaction between technology and human behavior.
Using technology to improve mental health is an emerging field of study, and PAU is at the forefront of this burgeoning field. Students will learn to identify the impact of technology on human psychology, which digital tools contribute to mental health, and how to develop these digital tools.
Students in this concentration will combine traditional training in higher psychological sciences with cutting-edge courses in how technology affects mental health and how we can use technology to develop new treatments and improve mental health in the future.
Technology and Mental Health Courses
The Technology and Mental Health concentration covers current trends in mental health and wellbeing and includes the following courses:
1) Technology and mental health for children and adolescents: screen time, digital interventions and teletherapy. This course explores the effects of technology on children and adolescents.
2) Evidence-based digital internet interventions to reduce health disparities. This course deals with the development and effectiveness of technological innovations in the field of health.
3) Using evidence-based multimedia learning principles for product design. Students will learn how people learn and process information and apply this framework to designing multimedia content.
4) Mental health and design in the digital world (user experience). Students will learn how the development of technology has positively impacted our wellbeing, learn UX product design skills and strategies, and become leaders in these future mental health trends.
Careers in technology and mental health
Students who graduate with this concentration become experts in applying technology – such as smartphone apps, virtual reality, and video games – to improve mental health in various industries. This concentration prepares students for technology-related jobs in the following areas:
- Education and Research
- Health care
- Forensic medecine
- Non-profit and governmental organizations
- Business and Human Resources
- Mental health start-ups
- UX design and research
Graduates will understand the changing demands of mental health and technology in the workplace, the expansion of mental health and technology in the corporate sector, and the ways in which an understanding of psychology can benefit those who want to work in technology.
Click here to apply or learn more about the UPA’s Master’s Program in Psychology, Technology and Mental Health Concentration. Applications are due August 5, 2022.
Catherine Hermann, Palo Alto University, 518-527-8215, [email protected]
THE SOURCE Palo Alto University