IOTech has launched Edge XRT 2.0, an open software platform designed for mission-critical and embedded OT applications at the industrial IoT edge.
Edge XRT 2.0 dramatically simplifies OT application development and brings new edge systems to market faster. It is hardware independent, independent of silicon vendor (Intel or ARM) and operating system. Users benefit from complete deployment flexibility. They can deploy it as a native, containerized application and/or in a virtualized environment.
With its small memory footprint and efficient use of computing resources, Edge XRT 2.0 is also suitable for microcontroller-based applications where CPU and memory resources are limited. This makes it ideal for use cases such as connected commercial or consumer electronics (e.g. a refrigeration unit), medical device applications, or automotive engine management systems.
The product’s open APIs make it easy to integrate third-party applications. Leading industrial OEMs and ISVs leverage the product’s multi-vendor OT connectivity, cloud interoperability, and high-performance real-time edge processing capabilities to create a new generation of protocol-agnostic edge solutions.
“As a configurable, embeddable, and high-performance OT platform, Edge XRT 2.0 is unique,” said Andrew Foster, product manager, IOTech. “It provides a rich set of OT and IoT features that our customers can easily use to build their own cutting-edge solutions. In most cases, this is done by simple configuration without the need for a lot of custom code. »
The new version adds a number of important features, including:
- OT Connectivity: In addition to existing pluggable OT connectivity for Modbus, EtherNet/IP and EtherCAT, BACnet and OPC UA protocols, the platform now supports PROFINET, S7, GPS and BLE.
- For protocols that support device discovery such as OPC UA, BACnet, and EtherNet/IP, devices can be discovered and then onboarded easily without any manual configuration.
- A new MQTT API allows Edge XRT customers to easily manage the lifecycle of connected devices/sensors, support read/write OT data access, control device discovery and resource scheduling.
- When deployed to an Azure Sphere device, an Edge XRT application can now be dynamically configured and reconfigured through a Device Twin running on Azure IoT Hub.
- IOTech has made scalability and performance improvements to meet customer demand for simultaneous access to an increasing number of OT devices and their data.
Edge XRT is designed for high-performance edge computing use cases, such as industrial control and real-time signal processing applications in a variety of vertical markets. These include factory automation, renewable energy, building management, retail and hospitality. It also enables integration between real-time edge applications and higher-level enterprise IT, SCADA, and cloud applications.