Former concentration camp guard, 101 years old, sentence of appeal


The accused is taken to Neuruppin Regional Court for sentencing. A 101-year-old man has appealed the five-year prison sentence handed down to him by a German court last week for aiding and abetting the murder of thousands of prisoners at Sachsenhausen concentration camp during World War II . Fabian Sommer/dpa

A 101-year-old man has appealed the five-year prison sentence handed down to him by a German court last week for aiding and abetting the murder of thousands of prisoners at Sachsenhausen concentration camp during World War II .

The Brandenburg State Court in Neuruppin, northwest of Berlin, upheld his appeal on Monday.

After the written verdict is delivered, he has one month to justify his appeal, said court spokeswoman Iris le Claire. The court has until September 27 to finalize its written judgment, she added.

It would then be up to the Federal Court of Justice to rule on the appeal.

Throughout his trial, the defendant denied having been a guard at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp during the period in question, 1942-1945.

The prosecution had produced documents identifying a Nazi SS guard with the defendant’s name, date and place of birth, among other evidence.

Defense attorney Stefan Waterkamp said shortly after the verdict that he would appeal. He argued that to date, the Federal Court of Justice had not considered concentration camp guard activity sufficient to convict someone of aiding and abetting Nazi crimes.

Previous Kaspersky invests in the development of neuromorphic processors – Back End News
Next Mathematical Skills for Skill India Mission - Jammu and Kashmir Latest News | Tourism